May 5 – 10, 2022 (4hrs per day)
Course: Compliant Mechanism Design
Registration Price: $695
Compliant Mechanism Design
Launchspace Training is providing a special edition of its new Compliant Mechanisms Design Course prior to the 2022 AMS Conference. This course has been developed for engineers working on mechanisms that are used to transfer or transform motion, force or energy in aerospace and other applications. Traditional rigid-body mechanisms consist of rigid links connected at movable joints. A compliant mechanism is a mechanism that gains at least some of its mobility from the deflection of flexible members rather than from movable joints only. This course focuses on the basics of compliant mechanisms, modeling and simulation, materials selection, failure prevention and design. Knowledge of such mechanisms is your link to advanced aerospace manufacturing techniques and applications.
Course topics include:
- Basics of Compliant Mechanism Design
- Advantages, challenges, and nomenclature for compliant mechanisms
- Flexibility and deflection
- Compliant mechanism building blocks
- Modeling philosophy
- Small-deflection analysis
- Large-deflection analysis
- Pseudo-rigid Body Modeling
- Approaches for nonlinear finite element analysis
- Force-deflection relationships and principle of virtual work
- Material Selection and Failure Prevention
- Material selection criteria for compliant mechanisms
- Failure modes
- Failure prevention – static and dynamic
- Fabrication and testing of compliant mechanisms
- Design approaches and examples
- Rigid-body replacement synthesis
- Design exercise
A total of four lectures sessions will be presented online:
- Lecture 1: Thusday May 5th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT (GMT – 4)
- Lecture 2: Friday May 6th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT (GMT – 4)
- Lecture 3: Monday May 9th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT (GMT – 4)
- Lecture 4: Tuesday May 10th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT (GMT – 4)
Course Notes and Certificates:
All registrants will receive a complete set of course notes and individual Certificates of Completion.
Instructor: Dr. Todd Nelson
Dr. Nelson earned a doctoral degree in Mechanical Engineering from Brigham Young University where he studied origami-inspired mechanisms and compliant mechanisms under Dr. Larry L. Howell. Combining principles from compliant mechanisms and the ancient art of origami has led to novel mechanisms and products which can be ultra-compact, deployable, scalable and fabricated from a single sheet of material. His research has implications for varied aerospace applications. He has several patents for compliant mechanisms and has enjoyed working with NASA-sponsored undergraduate projects where compliant mechanisms and origami-inspired design have played a prominent roles.
Registration and Fees:
This course will be held on-line prior to AMS. However, this course is not part of the 46th AMS Conference and a separate fee is payable for delegates attending this course in addition to any AMS fees.
Launchspace Compliant Mechanism Design Course Tuition
US$695.00 including complete course materials and Certificates of Completion.